Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a grappling art practiced by kids and adult. Children are often drawn to the playful nature of the sport, making it a great option for engaging your children and keeping them active and healthy.
Here are five reasons why every child should train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu!
1) Effective Self Defense. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu give kids confidence to defend themselves as they learn to leverage technique over size and strength. At John Wai Martial Arts, we equip your child with a solid foundation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. This includes both the physical aspect and the mental aspect of addressing bullying before it even has a chance to escalate. Your child will learn the Three T’s:
- Your child will learn to confidently use their words to address a bully first. They will learn how to tell a bully to stop and communicate their wishes before needing to escalate the problem.
- The 2nd step is to tell an adult, teacher, parent about the bullying.
- If they are attacked your child will have all the physical skills to be able to take down bully who is attacking them, control their body, and apply a controlled submission.
With our approach, and a solid Jiu Jitsu skillset, your child will feel confident in knowing they can stand up for themselves.
2) Learning to be a Good Teammate. Jiu Jitsu is certainly an individual sport, but it actually requires a great deal of understanding and work as a good teammate. Jiu Jitsu will teach your child to not only think about themselves, but to also think about others. As your child drills or rolls with other children, they will need to ensure that they are keeping their partner safe, allowing their partner to get good reps, and are supporting their partner as they learn, too.
Being a good team mate means that they cannot always try to “win” at drills, but rather, that they learn to reframe “winning” as allowing their partner to get good work out of the drill. This can be very challenging for children, but is extremely rewarding as they see their partner’s success as their own success, too!
3) Communication. Jiu Jitsu will teach your child better communication skills. They will learn how to properly address Instructors, how to introduce themselves to their peers, and how to communicate their needs and feelings. While drilling or rolling, your child will learn that they may need to ask a partner to go a little lighter or a little harder, depending on the feedback and resistance they need. They will have to learn how to “tap” when something is uncomfortable or painful, which teaches them to advocate for themselves.
Jiu Jitsu is full of opportunities for children to learn how to be better communicators.
4) Builds Focus and Discipline. Jiu Jitsu is a wonderful sport for teaching both focus and discipline. Whether it’s through listening and watching the Instructor demonstrating a move or technique so that they can then replicate it, or by waiting patiently and watching teammates while they demonstrate an issue they were having, your child will learn how to focus their attention while having the discipline to avoid causing distractions.
Your child will quickly learn that Jiu Jitsu is hard work. They have to show up, time and time again, with an attitude for learning to be able to succeed. That requires great discipline, and will benefit your child for the rest of their life. Not only that, but Jiu Jitsu teaches kids to overcome their challenges. Jiu Jitsu can be physically challenging as your child find themselves in bad positions during training. Rather than quitting, your child will learn resilience as they work hard to get out of those bad positions.
5) Health. Jiu Jitsu will keep your child moving. Children today are often found stuck in front of tv’s or video games all day. Because Jiu Jitsu is a playful physical sport, it is often not very hard to entice children to give it a try. Jiu Jitsu will get your child a full body workout. Each class they will sweat as they train, and their muscles and hearts will get stronger and healthier, too!
Jiu Jitsu is a fun and engaging sport that gives your child a well rounded approach to self defense. It requires a lot of discipline and communication, both of which are important concepts for children to carry with them everywhere they go. If you are looking for an environment that will support your child as they pursue Jiu Jitsu and all that it offers, John Wai Martial Arts in Plantation has one of the top Kids Martial Arts programs and offers the perfect place for your child. Call or come in today to see how we can help your child fall in love with Jiu Jitsu.
If you are interested in letting your child try our Kids Martial Arts Program in Plantation, here is a special 14 Days For $14 Offer. Plus we included a FREE Private 1 on 1 Lesson & an official academy tshirt.