Martial Arts is a sport that offers more than meets the eye. Yes, of course your child will experience physical growth, but martial arts goes far beyond this, offering a wide variety of growth opportunities that you won’t want to pass up!
1. Martial arts is an excellent physical workout. Between Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Kung Fu, and Jiu Jitsu , your child’s body will constantly be exposed to the utilization of all sorts of muscles. Not only will children get stronger and more capable physically, but they will begin to understand how to control their own body as they move around with a partner. Jiu Jitsu offers a unique opportunity to learn how to move your body around someone else, and how to keep yourself and a partner that you care about (and may even be much smaller than you) safe. Striking gives the same bodily understanding as you learn to control your strikes so as not to harm a partner. Kung Fu grows a combination of understanding of coordination, strength, and flexibility, as well as how they all work together.
2. Martial arts provides an opportunity to learn and understand respect. In a world where respect has become a thing of old, it is an important character trait to pass on to our children. Martial arts is the best place for it. Not only will your child learn to respect their coaches and instructors, but they will learn respect for their partners, and themselves, too.
3. Martial arts will give your child the ability to protect themselves (and others). If ever, in the unfortunate situation where your child finds themself with a need for protection, martial arts provides the tools, skill set, and mindset to do so. Learning self defense offers a boost in confidence that is a deterrent to bullies. Allowing kids to grow in the confidence that they can defend themselves, if necessary, is such a great reason to begin them on their martial arts journey. What an amazing gift to be able to give your child this year (and a peace of mind gift for yourself, too!).
4. Martial arts helps children learn to focus. It’s incredibly difficult to do martial arts without paying close attention to what you are doing. Learning to focus is a skill that everyone needs! Children can take this skill into their daily life-applying these principles to their schoolwork, chores, and other athletic pursuits.
5. Martial arts gives kids a sense of community. It won’t take long before your child finds some of their best friends while at martial arts. The martial arts community is an incredibly accepting community that loves to bring others into the fold and alongside them in their pursuit of growth. Your child will find partners they love that challenge them, encourage them, and help them become a better version of themselves. Martial arts gives students the opportunity to participate in both an individual sport AND a team sport where they will learn to cooperate alongside and with other kids.
If you are ready to jump in and gift martial arts (and all that it has to offer) to your child this year, come on in to John Wai Martial Arts! Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will assist you and your child as you take the dive into martial arts, and our community of members will help your child feel right at home. With over 25 years in Plantation, and over 300 Google reviews, you’ll find plenty of parents who have chosen to give their children this gift here at John Wai Martial Arts!